Wednesday, May 20, 2009

These Hands


These hands are kind and caring, soft yet strong, loving and patient. These hands have worked a farm, spun wool straight off of sheep and llama. These hands have cared for silk worms for their silk. These hands have grown cotton plants and harvested the cotton.

The wonderful women who has these hands, is excited to be growing cotton plants again. This woman has learned all over how to knit and create with yarns from different animals. This woman is my Nanny, my Father’s Mother. This woman is someone who I respect, adore, love and cherish. Her strength and determination is very inspiring. To watch her fight back after a stroke to being able to do all the things she loves again, my heart bursts with pride. Not only has she started to knit again but she is learning to crochet.


I wish I could spend more time with Nanny. I would love to hear the stories of what it was like to live through the war and then immigrate to Canada from England by boat. I would love to hear what my dad was like growing up. Was he smart-alecky or a serious child? What were his favorite pass times? Any question just to be able to listen to her talk in her reassuring voice.

These hands belong to one of the most important women in my life!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely post, Lori! She certainly is a fighter. So happy to hear she is able to reclaim some of the abilities she had before the stroke. She looks so young & healthy in the photos. I hope you are able to spend more time with her soon and get answers to some of your questions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori, this post is very touchy... I miss my Grandma!!!!

    ReplyDelete